[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2012: Dynamic Snippets and QueryParser Reimplementation

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 14 01:07:45 GMT 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 02:51:26PM -0600, Sean Mikalson wrote:
> My name is Sean Mikalson. I am a second year Software Engineering student
> with a combined degree in Philosophy. I am interested in participating with
> Xapian in GSOC this year and a couple of projects have initially caught my
> eye:
>
>    - Dynamic Snippets
>    - QueryParser Reimplementation
>
> I have good working knowledge in C/C++, Java and SQL (specifically
> Transact-SQL). In order to determine where my skills and interests are best
> suited, as well as to provide the best proposal possible for my
> application, I would like to get better acquainted with the Xapian code
> base. I have looked at the the FAQS/Snippets link for Dynamic Snippets and
> have explored the QueryParser documentation and the source code for
> QueryParser, all the information provided on the ideas page.

Hi Sean,

I'm not really sure which way to steer you based on what you've said
about your skills.  C++ is useful to both, Java and SQL not really
to either.

> Is there a way that I can modify and play around with the code on my own
> machine in order to really get familiar with how the code works? Any one
> want to discuss the above project ideas in more depth? After I do some
> exploring of the code I am sure I will have questions and ideas!

Anyone can check the latest code out - see the instructions here:

http://xapian.org/bleeding

It is available from SVN or git, but I'd recommend using git - we found
last year that git worked better for the GSoC workflow.

If you want a target to aim for while getting to grips with the code
then http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ProjectIdeas has some "bite size"
project ideas which may be useful.  You can also look for tickets
for bugs in the area you want to look at and see if you can investigate
them, and maybe even come up with a patch.