[Xapian-devel] Google Summer of Code 2012

Chandan kumar Singh chandan.vnit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 21:58:30 GMT 2012

Greetings everyone.

My name is Chandan and I am a Junior student from National Institute of
Technology, Nagpur, India. I have come to know that Xapian is participating
in Google Summer of Code this year. I am interested in contributing to
Xapian. I have gone through the project ideas list and found some of them
really interesting. I am particularly interested in the project on *Weighting
Schemes <http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas#WeightingSchemes>.*
*
*
I have seen the requirements for the project as well. I have advanced
proficiency in programming in C++. I am really very good when it comes to
linear algebra and probability. I am currently taking a course on Natural
Language Processing, so I'll have some working familiarity with Information
Retrieval as well in around a month. Although, I don't have any previous
experience in open source, I have some experience in embedded software
development in C using GNU tool chain. I was fascinated by Xapian's work
and am really interested in the *Weighting Schemes* project. Currently, I
am doing literature review on some weighting schemes other than BM25. At
present, I am studying the Divergence from Randomness family.
It would be of great help, if someone at Xapian could help me get started.
In particular, I would like to know in more detail about Xapian's
expectations from this project and what really would make a great proposal
for it.

Thanks!

Regards,
Chandan <https://sites.google.com/site/cksvnit/>