[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2012 : QueryParser Reimplementation

Sehaj Singh Kalra sehaj.sk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:02:23 GMT 2012

As you mentioned, the user query is a mix of formal grammar (we want to
support operators with precedence and brackets to control that) and more
free form text.
I was suggesting some ways to improve the later.
I am giving the links of the three pics, kindly go through it and you will
have some idea as to what I was trying to say.
http://sehaj.my3gb.com/Pic1.PNG
http://sehaj.my3gb.com/Pic2.PNG
http://sehaj.my3gb.com/Pic3.PNG

Maintaining logs will improve parser as the present query can be matched
against the recent queries. This way, suppose for example, if we find the
exact query, the time taken by search engine
can be reduced. Also even if the exact query can't be found,  this will
help parser in making sane and better Query object trees by matching
against some logs and using algorithms like longest common sub-sequence
etc. This way query can be modified a  bit to make more sense from the free
form text.

These were the plans suggested to improve parser functioning.
Please guide me, about the other ways in which the parser can be modified
for better outputs.

Note : The pics attached are from a patent document whose URL is
http://www.google.co.in/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT6766320&id=Q4MSAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=query+parser+for+search+engine&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q=query%20parser%20for%20search%20engine&f=false
.
This is just used to reflect the idea which are present in many search
papers.