[Xapian-devel] Learning to rank

pankaj singhal pankajsinghal at ieee.org
Sat Mar 24 20:57:15 GMT 2012

Dear Sir,
                 I am Pankaj Singhal from Jaipur, India. I am very much
interested and strongly looking forward in getting involved in this project
Learning-to-Rank.

My previous experience in this field is good. Last semester I did a similar
job of ranking the URLs of the given huge dataset based on their attribute
values. The dataset consisted hundreds of thousands of URLs and each url
consisted of around 33000 features and a binary class label with +1 OR -1
value. I applied the Decision Tree induction(GINI INDEX) Approach for
filtering out the URLs and then applying a RANKSUM[1] metric, which uses
weighted sum approach, to rank the URLs accordingly.

The current implementation involves firstly the unsupervised ranking of a
query and then applying a supervised learning algorithm, SVM, on the first
'n' documents retrieved.
A similar approach can be incorporated while extending the problem of
ranking with a better supervised learning algorithm and probabilistic model
viz. Bayesian Belief Networks i.e. it can be applied after fetching 'n'
documents from either of the two approaches, unsupervised ranking or SVM
ranking.

Incorporating pairwise approach would also be a good idea, there are
various algorithms available.

[1] - Rank-Order Weighting of Web Attributes for Website Evaluation - Mehri
Saeid, Abdul Azim Abd Ghani, and Hasan Selamat

regards,

--
Pankaj Singhal
III Year, CSE