[Xapian-devel] Project: Posting list encoding improvements

Weixian Zhou ideazwx at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 06:25:31 BST 2012

Hi Xapianers:
My name is Weixian Zhou, Computer Science student of University at Buffalo,
State University of New York. I am interested in the project of posting
list encoding improvements and weighting schemes. I have some questions
toward them.
1) After read the comments in brass_postlist.cc, I am still not very clear
about the detailed structure of postings list. If you can provide some
simple examples/graphs will be very straightforward.
2) My instant idea to make list smaller: use gamma codes to encode the gap
between docids instead of docids.

Last question towards the project of weighting schemes: Do we need only to
implement existing weighting scheme instead of coming up with new ideas?
And our mission is to find a weighting scheme that could replace the
default BM25 in Xapian?

--
Weixian Zhou
University at Buffalo, SUNY