[Xapian-devel] GSoC xapian node binding thoughts

Liam xapian at networkimprov.net
Tue May 29 19:45:34 BST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM, James Aylett <james-xapian at tartarus.org>wrote:

> I'd say it's better than to refuse to compile, although it's somewhat moot
> right now. All numbers will overflow eventually, although I assume in Node
> yo'd just get IEEE rounding behaviour? Basically, there's no nice solution.

It would be a runtime check, not compile-time. We'd compile against a
suitably configured Xapian :-)

In what context are int64 doc ids necessary? What % of installations use
them?

 Slicing / comprehension I mean you return an object that will act as an
> array but which doesn't read out the data at that point. Obviously has
> interesting interactions with the async model of Node, but having to think
> about paging seems like a step back from nice abstractions to me :-(

Well you know what they say about "nice abstractions"... The road to Hell
is paved with them :-)

Seriously, lazy-loading is oversold from what I've seen. If you have data
from real-world Xapian sites that shows a material advantage for it, I'd
love to read...