[Xapian-devel] GSoC xapian node binding thoughts

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed May 30 03:39:01 BST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 06:33:58PM -0700, Liam wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
>
> > Now fixed on the 1.2 branch.  It was also missing that ELITE_SET can
> > take any number of subqueries in that comment, though it clearly says
> > it can elsewhere, and ELITE_SET would be rather useless if it only took
> > 2 subqueries...
>
> Can I suggest you push an update to the online docs?

Things aren't currently set up to make that easy to do, so I'll leave it
until 1.2.11 is released.  Since nobody noticed for 10 years, another
month doesn't seem a big deal.

> Actually it'd be nice if those docs included changes on trunk, flagged
> in some way.

I try to flag up major changes, but it's quite time intensive to revise
the 1.2 docs in the light of changes on trunk.  Patches welcome if
anyone wants to help.

> > I would strongly recommend developing against trunk at this point
> > anyway.
>
> Is there a trunk package?

There's a 1.3.0 development snapshot, and you can download snapshots
which track trunk from here: http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/

But for a case like this, I'd recommend checking out the code from git,
as it's much simpler to stay current.

> I seem to recall it's a lot of stuff to install & configure to build
> everything. That aspect of development makes me grumpy :-)

It's pretty streamlined these days.  For Debian and Ubuntu, HACKING even
includes the apt-get command to install the packages you need.

Then it's just:

./bootstrap
./configure
make