[Xapian-devel] Xapian Github Organization

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Oct 8 00:53:10 BST 2012

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 08:34:45AM -0700, Dan Colish wrote:
> Well at the moment, we're really still using SVN so this discussion
> might not be ready to happen. If we are going to use a github org to
> host our repos, git should be the SPOT.

I'm not keen to have the master git repo hosted on a proprietary
platform.  It's a pattern the Free/Open Source Software community seems
to fall into repeatedly, and has lead to problems before (ironically one
such instance was the reason git was created in the first place).

As well as the "host on Free Software" point, self-hosting gives us more
flexibility, so I think I'd favour that over somewhere like gitorious or
repo.or.cz.  If there's some tool we want to install, it's easy to do if
we self-host.

I'm OK with having mirrors of the git tree at places like github (like
we already do), but I don't think we should make it the master location.

> IMHO, we should focus on porting everythign to git and not worry so
> much about where it's hosted for the moment.

Yeah, until we move off SVN completely, it's rather irrelevant.

> I know that the svn to git conversion can often be tricky.

Well, the repo conversion is essentially done, since we're mirroring
already and the mirror seems to work well.

Converting all the scripts which do SVN things is where most of the
effort still lies (I've done some already at least), plus setting up
trac to work with git.