[Xapian-devel] Need Beginner Guide for Matcher Optimisations Project

Lokesh Basu lokesh.basu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:37:20 GMT 2013

Hi,

While searching for a project which matches my interest andskill level, I
found this project named Matcher Optimization. This project is really
challenging and excting from my view point and I would like to be a part of
this project.

Optimization techniques metioned in the reference links provided will take
some time for me to have a good understanding about them. But I am trying
to get my head into it.

I am a Computer Science undergraduate so I have a good knowledge about
programming languages, algorthms, copilers, logics and data structures, but
still I'm not into real world development sphere.

So it was a bit difficult for me to get my hands on the real code, as I
couldn't find a section which was completely dedicated to New Developers
Just Trying To Start with Xapian.

Also, since my timezone is +5:30 GMT, so it's not very easy to get a quick
response on IRC. Hence, it's really difficult for student like me, who
needs help regarding alost everything.

So I would be thankful to you if I can get any kind of help regarding my
step towards learning more about deleoping for Xapian.

Some idea about the contents of the section that I need is:

For Beginners :

Prerequisit for developing for Xapian.
Step wise installation of tools for development including source code?
Detailed build instruction for build.
How to start with code evaluation?
How to fix a bus[possibly a start bug like "Hello Xapian" :-) ] ?
How to submit a bug?
Possible reading material for reference regarding development and for
increasig your knowledge about searching.
etc.
[These are just what I could think of, there could be many other thing as
well.]

*Lokesh Chandra Basu*
B. Tech
Computer Science and Engineering