[Xapian-devel] GSoC 2013 and cotnributing to xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Mar 9 08:18:36 GMT 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:52:32PM +0530, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:
> I am Tejas Nikumbh, an undergrad at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
> I will be participating in GSoC this year. [GSoC 2013]. In order to imporve
> my chances for getting selected this year, I would like to start
> contributing early on to Open Source development via xapian.
>
> Here's a little background info :
>
> *Languages proficient in : *Java, Python, Javascript [+jQuery] ,
> HTML[+HTML5 Canvas], CSS [+CSS3]. C++ should be on the list soon.
>
> *CS Theory :* Discrete Math, Probablity and Random Processes, Data
> Structures and Algorithms.
>
> *SVN : *Github, Mercurial
> ..
> *Basic Machine learning [Regression algos and some classification algos]*
>
> Based on the above info, are there any projects  which might suit me?

An important consideration is that you find the project interesting,
since you're going to be working on it for 3 months full-time, plus
a some preparation before that.  It's hard for us to advise you on
that aspect.

But if your Python and Java are stronger than your C++, you might want
to look at the projects which involve working on the Python or Java
bindings.