[Xapian-devel] Project: Learning To Rank

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 12 22:30:18 GMT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 05:51:03PM +0530, Abhiroop Sarkar wrote:
> I feel I can contribute to the project however most of the codes that I
> have written are in Java or Python. Is it essential to use C++ to
> contribute to this project?

Yes - it would be extending the existing Learning to Rank Xapian module,
which is written in C++.

Trying to write something like this in a mixture of languages isn't
likely to be very satisfactory, and throwing away or translating all the
existing work doesn't seem a good use of resources.  Even if we were
starting it from scratch, we'd likely prefer C++.