[Xapian-devel] DFR framework as a GSOC project

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 20 07:21:05 GMT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:02:24PM +0530, aarsh shah wrote:
> Please do comment on this and let me know what you think.

We discussed the proposal plan on IRC since, but if there's anything you
want to discuss more, please say.

> Also,I have no
> prior experience with writing proposals and so,please can you tell me what
> a proposal for something like this should include ? I'd really appreciate
> your help.

For the benefit of others reading the list, there are 3 great links to
resources on putting together a good GSoC proposal here:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCApplicationTemplate

The application template itself hasn't been updated from 2012 yet.  The
dates in there need updating, and I suspect we'll tweak the content a
bit, but it should give a rough idea of what to expect.

The other thing I'd recommend is getting your application in early on
in the application period.  We'll try to review applications as they
come in, and give feedback so you can revise and improve them (which
you can do right up until the deadline).  However, the rate at which
new applications come in inevitably increases towards the deadline, so
it's likely to take us longer to respond with comments, and there's
less time left for you to act on the feedback you get.