[Xapian-devel] Eleven, twelve; dig and delve (name conflict)

Chuck Aurora cba at isc.org
Fri Apr 25 21:58:50 BST 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 07:48:44AM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> Sorry not to be more helpful

No, Richard, you were helpful by being right. Even if you had loved
our name as much as we did, troubles would ensue for your users and
ours. What if someone asked us to change the name of dig? Even if we
agreed, BIND's dig has been out there for 20 years.

We considered our options carefully. Some of the suggestions were
very good. None were as perfect as "delve".

Introducing the second release candidate of the newest branch of the
BIND9 family, BIND 9.10.0rc2, which includes a fabulously cool new
Domain Entity Lookup and Validation command-line tool, which we NOW
call "delv". This will be available for download shortly at:
	http://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.10.0rc2/

And at this point we have to award an Honorable Mention to Will
Crawford of this mailing list. Will presented one of the best
alternate name suggestions, complete with a relevant nursery rhyme
reference. Thank you, Will.

And thank you all for the kind and cordial response to what might
have been considered a bold request. Best wishes.
    Chuck Aurora : ISC Software Support : cba at isc.org
    Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.