[Xapian-devel] Contributing to Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Dec 1 04:47:45 GMT 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 02:09:50PM -0500, Manu Gupta wrote:
> I will try to work on :
> http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas#Project:LearningtoRank
>
> I will be taking a Machine Learning class the next semester and I hope that
> this project will help me supplement my learning in Machine Learning and
> also gain a bit of knowledge in IR.
>
> If you can give me ideas on how to get around with the code for LTR
> project, it will be awesome. I can look at it and get back to you.

Unfortunately right now there's not a single place with the code you
need to look at.

Parth's work from GSoC 2011 is on master in the xapian-letor
subdirectory, and James has gone through the 2012 work to pick out the
useful changes, and I merged those to master earlier today.

But in GSoC 2014 we had 2 letor projects working on different aspects,
and we need to sort out getting those both cleaned up and merged.  We
should manage to do that before GSoC 2015, but right now you probably
need to look at both those branches:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2014/Learning%20to%20Rank%20Hanxiao%20Sun
http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2014/Learning%20to%20Rank%20Jiarong%20Wei

Cheers,