[Xapian-devel] Contributing to Xapian

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sat Dec 6 15:01:56 GMT 2014

On 6 Dec 2014, at 02:01, Manu Gupta <gmanu at umich.edu> wrote:

> I tried building the letor for both the branches and unfortunately both of them do not build…
[unused variables]

You should be able to add in CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS to suppress this; either -w (suppress all warnings) or I think -Wno-error=unused-variable should help. (There may be other warnings pertaining to the code, though; it’s one reason why xapian-letor is marked .nobootstrap still.)

That’s some specific notes about that project; you should probably start by understanding what LETOR is and how it works, then look at the intro for xapian-letor (https://github.com/xapian/xapian/blob/master/xapian-letor/docs/letor.rst) which should explain how that maps onto Xapian in broad strokes. From there, since there isn’t a huge amount of documentation, both individual project reports and diving into the code will likely be required to get to a point where you can write functional tests for the various pieces.

--
 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org