[Xapian-devel] Contributing to Xapian

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Dec 8 07:41:17 GMT 2014

On 8 Dec 2014, at 05:41, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

>> make CXXFLAGS='-w'
>
> Please don't inhibit warnings - fix them instead!

I suggested that as a way of getting it building at all in the first instance. It’s better to fix them in even the short term, so Manu’s suggestion of getting to a clean build at he gets familiar with the code seems a good plan.

> But in fact none of the calls to getcwd() in xapian-letor are actually
> needed - relative paths are interpreted relative to the current
> directory.  So the better fix is to eliminate these calls.
>
> I've pointed this out in a patch review previously, but it sounds
> like the didn't all get fixed.

It was against my original approach to merging the summer’s work, which we abandoned. When I pick this up again in January the merges I do will ensure we don’t reintroduce[*] `getcwd()` anywhere (amongst other things; I have all the notes from the previous merge approach).

[*] it’s actually on master still, but not in the half-finished refactor I have on top of that

--
 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org