[Xapian-devel] [Xapians-devel] Project: Java Bindings Improvements

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Dec 30 21:06:02 GMT 2014

On 30 Dec 2014, at 14:46, Gaurav Mishra B.Tech., ECE, IIT(BHU), Varanasi (INDIA) <gaurav.mishra.ece11 at iitbhu.ac.in> wrote:

> I would like to work on the project Java Binding Improvements .I did go through the references provided in the  GSOC-2015 project idea list .But, i still confuse about where to start .could anyone help me with this ??

Hi, Guarav. I’d start by:

 * going through the guide we provide for potential students: http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide
 * writing some code against the current Java API to get a feel for it
 * then start reviewing the API properly to identify what work needs to be done

It’s been a while since anyone has put significant effort (beyond adding new Xapian features) into the Java API, so there should be a lot of good wins we can get out of things like implementing the Collections Framework interfaces. (I’d expect there to be plenty of places where the “naive” wrapping we have at the moment is not the friendliest approach to Java programmers.)

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org