[Xapian-devel] Contributing to Xapian : GSoC 2014

Ankesh Anand ankeshanand1994 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 03:02:00 GMT 2014

Hi,

I am Ankesh Anand (*irc: ankesh11)*, an undergrad from Indian Institute of
Technology, Kharagpur. I am excited about Information Retrieval in general
and eager to contribute to Xapian as part of GSoC 2014.

I had a look at the list of projects Ideas and the Ranking projects on
Weighted Schemes and Learning to Rank seemed interesting to me. I did a
course on Information Retrieval at my university, along with a course
project which showed and  analyzed the Citation Networks given by search
queries over a million research papers from Microsoft Academic. I guess my
IR knowledge coupled with mathematical background would help in either of
these projects.
How should I go about contacting the respective mentors of these projects?
Is IRC fine?

Also, after having a look at the Hacking Guide in xapian-core, I was able
to build the Xapian repository from Git. I know want to move forward and
get acquainted with the Xapian codebase by contributing small patches. It
would be great if you guys can suggest me the next steps or point me to
some bug-fixes/issues which I might resolve to get familiar.

Thanks

--
Ankesh Anand
*Undergrad,Mathematics and Computing at*