[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2014

Jiarong Wei vcamx3 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:19:23 GMT 2014

Hi,

I am Jiarong Wei (irc: VcamX). I’m a 3rd year computer science student at Zhejiang University, China. I’m very willing to contribute to Xapian as part of GSoC 2014. Now I’m at Simon Fraser University, Canada, as an exchange student. I’ll go back to China on the end of April. I think it doesn’t matter I’ll change the time zone :)

From the list of project’s ideas, Learning to Rank interests me a lot. Last year, I did a course on Information Retrieval at my university. Also I’m interested in Machine Learning. So, that’s why letor that combines both techs attracts me. I’d like to know more about it by improving the code. I also notice the potential mentor Parth Gupta is also the initial contributor of letor as GSOC 2011 student. That's so cool!

I have built all the Xapian code from Git successfully. I got Omega running, too :D, it’s exciting!

Now, I’m reading the resources provided on ideas’ page. Do you have any other suggestions of knowing more about the letor?
And I’d like to test the function of letor. But I can’t find code example. Can u give me some suggestions?

Thanks!

Jiarong Wei