[Xapian-devel] Regarding Participation in Google Summer of Code 2014.

Mayank Chaudhary mayankchaudhary.iitr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 14:08:01 GMT 2014

Hi,
   I am Mayank Chaudhary (irc name - mayank) studying in Indian Institute
of Technology, Roorkee. I am a Junior Year Student. I want to apply for
Learning to Rank project. But the thing is I have an internship offer for
this summer from 5th May 2014 to 4th July 2014 (i.e approximately 7 weeks
overlap). I heard about rishabh's dropout. So, basically, I want to ask
that is it OK if I do both things together. I really want to do the project
and at the same time be fair to it too.

I talked to Parth about it on IRC. He suggested me that I could start the
work early and then have a little light schedule during my Internship. I
also talked to my seniors (who have interned there last year) about it.
They told me that office hours would be at most 8 hours a day and I'm also
pretty accurate with the figure. Furthermore, I think the projects in GSOC
demand nearly 30-40 hours a week. So I can start 3 weeks earlier and then
during the internship take out at least take out 4 hours on Mon-Sat and I
am totally free on Sundays. After completion of my internship I'll always
be available for LETOR.

Are my chances of getting selected really low because of this reason? I
guess you wouldn't prefer someone with an internship because of what
happened in 2012.