[Xapian-devel] some testing results

Hurricane Tong zhangshangtong.cpp at qq.com
Sun Mar 9 06:55:18 GMT 2014

Hi,

I do some tests on the VSEncoding and Interpolative encoding.
I randomly generate 225284 numbers in ascending sort, and I encode these numbers with VSEncoder and Interpolative encoder, and compare the time for decoding.

The size of string generated by VSEncoder is 234720,
while the size of string generated by InterpolativeEncoder is 225854.

When compiling without -o2, 371ms is needed for VSDecoder, while 1042ms is needed for Interpolative.
But when using -o2, VSDecoder need 20ms, InterpolativeDecoder need 13ms.

Besides, VSEncoder costs much more time to encode than InterpolativeEncoder.

So I think VSEncoding algorithm is promising, but I need to optimize my code...

Shangtong Zhang,Second Year Undergraduate,
School of Computer Science,
Fudan University, China.