[Xapian-devel] [GSoC 2014] About "Clustering of Search Results"

Chi Liu liuchi09 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:11:31 GMT 2014

> Most applications of Xapian are interactive, so to actually be
> practically useful clustering needs to complete in a reasonable amount
> of time (a fraction of a second ideally).  I think that needs to be a key
> aim of the project.

> If by "find new approaches" you mean different approach to that used by
> the existing clustering branch, then sure.  If you're talking about
> doing original research, I'd be a little cautious about that, as
> clustering is a relatively mature field, and I'm a bit dubious a student
> could development and implement a new approach in the GSoC timescale.

> But if that aim is addressed, exactly what else the project consists of
> is largely up to you.

Thank you for your patient explanation about the project. My understanding
about
the project "Clustering of Search Results" is that we mainly focus on
processing
speed of the existing code.

By "find new approaches" I mean trying other known clustering algorithms.
What I am
concerned is whether the low efficiency is caused by improper algorithm. I
am reading
the existing clustering branch code and have not completely finished yet. I
might be
able to talk more about existing code in my application of GSoC. But now, I
really
can not comment before fully understanding exiting code.

> That's a good question - I'm not sure how clustering effectiveness is
> typically measured.  But if we're implementing known approaches,
> a formal evaluation of effectiveness is probably less necessary.

My idea about measure clustering effectiveness is that when we trying other
known
clustering algorithms, we can use the old clustering result as a baseline.
If the difference
of clustering results is acceptable and new clustering algorithm has high
efficiency,
we may find a better approach. I will give more details about this in
my application of GSoC.

Thanks
Liu Chi

--