[Xapian-devel] 'Java Binding Improvements' project

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 11 13:18:46 GMT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:07:29PM +0530, Shiluka Raveen Dharmasena wrote:
> [3] http://xapian.org/docs/bindings/java/README

This is the README for the hand-coded JNI bindings which are the
standard Java bindings in Xapian 1.2.  But we're phasing those out
as they are too much work to maintain.

You should be working with the SWIG-generated bindings in trunk (also
known as master in the git repo).

Assuming you checkout out the default branch from git, look in the
directory "xapian/xapian-bindings/java".

> After that I hope to wrap Query Parser API. In addition to resources
> mentioned above, I hope to refer following article to create it.

The QueryParser API is already wrapped in the SWIG-generated bindings.

> http://llama.mshri.on.ca/~fgibbons/doc/SWIG1.3.10.dont.use/Manual/Java.html

That seems to be a random copy of the docs from an old version of SWIG.
I'd use the latest version on the SWIG website instead (as linked to
from the "Resources" section of the project idea):

http://swig.org/Doc2.0/Java.html

If you want somewhere to get started, you might want to look at
SmokeTest.java - there are some parts of the tests in there which are
currently commented out, and you could take a look at resolving some of
those.

You might find some useful fixes in Dan's branch:

https://github.com/dcolish/xapian/tree/java-fixes