[Xapian-devel] GSoc 2015 project ideas

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Feb 15 16:44:32 GMT 2015

On 14 Feb 2015, at 19:06, aditi gupta <aditiguptabits at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Aditi Gupta, an aspiring Google Summer of Code 2015 participant.  I had browsed through the plausible project ideas for GSoC 2015 on the wiki page and particularly found two ideas very interesting. The  projects 'Weighting Schemes' and  'Learning to Rank' have seemed to capture my imagination.

Aditi — welcome! The getting started guide you’ve found is a good place to get a feel for how Xapian fits together. If you haven’t found it we also have a guide for potential GSoC students <http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide>, which has some useful information and suggestions as well.

Note that the Learning to Rank project we’re still working on for this year — it will likely focus around stability, tests and getting it ready for distribution and general use — so if you were drawn to it because you’re interested in the Information Retrieval side, you may be better off looking at Weighting Schemes instead. However, as the project page says, if you have an idea that’s not on the list, please talk to us — we aren’t the source of all good ideas for things to do with Xapian!

Best,
James

--
 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker