[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2015 Participation | Ganesh Prabu

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Feb 15 16:55:07 GMT 2015

On 15 Feb 2015, at 11:54, Ganesh Prabu Ravi <ganeshprabhu1994 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am yet to prepare to exact method for solving this problem. Is the idea of parallel programming paradigm is okay? I would love to have discussion on how it could be proceeded further.

Ganesh — that’s a good start, and while having some more detail as part of your proposal would certainly be a good thing we don’t expect you to have all the details when applying; some will naturally come out as part of the work. If you go through our guide for writing proposals, working from where you are now, that should help you figure out what other details you want to put in. (And we’re happy to feed back on proposals during that period of GSoC — note that we haven’t been accepted as a participating organisation as yet, so there’s some time before we get to that stage!)

On parallel programming, that’s something we’d need to discuss. Is it always going to be available? (Some uses of Xapian might need to work in systems that don’t support multi-process or multi-threaded concurrency, for instance.) Also, things like this — which are using more than the core of C++ and its library — would likely have to be very different for Windows, which we’d like to keep support for in all the main features of Xapian.

That said, there may be a suitable argument that those concerns don’t apply in this case. But it may be worth thinking about what approaches you can take without parallelism first, and then to investigate optional performance improvements later.

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org