[Xapian-devel] Weighting schemes for Xapian

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Mar 29 12:39:36 BST 2015

On 28 Mar 2015, at 15:10, Richhiey Thomas <richhiey.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for not getting back sooner. I was stuck up with coursework.
> I would like to work on LDA based document modelling and Heimstra's language modelling and would like to form a concrete plan on how to proceed.
> It would be really helpful if I could have a mentor to assist me with this.
> Looking forwards to your reply.

Hi Richhiey, that’s great! I’m happy to help you get to a concrete plan and provide further support as I can, although others may have to chip in on some details of the work you’ll have to do.

There’s two things you should do at this point. Firstly, based on the “Get familiar with the code” section of our GSoC Guide[1], find something small that you can fix or add and get it through to a pull request. Doing this for something small means we can work with you to help you structure your commits and pull requests in future so we can review and merge new code as quickly as possible. We’re aiming for small pull requests with clear boundaries (so doing one thing well) — when this goes wrong (and we end up with large pull requests doing many things) it takes much longer for us to work through the code. It’s obviously better for you to see your work making it swiftly into the main codebase, and it also helps us if we don’t have lots of things lying around to merge.

Secondly, please create a project page under our wiki projects page[2] — instructions of how to do it are on that page. That will give you somewhere to put your project plan and, once you get into the project, a place to keep a journal of the work you’ve done, which is helpful in keeping track of where you are in the plan.

Any questions, let us know! As for GSoC projects, please keep all email communication on this mailing list so everyone here can help you. (I’m not always available, and additionally there are parts of Xapian I know nothing about!)

[1] http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide
[2] http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/Projects

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org