Bite-size project

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Apr 8 15:09:39 BST 2016

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:57:16AM -0400, Richhiey Thomas wrote:

> Sorry to take so much time on this. Was down with coursework because the
> semester end is nearing.

Not a problem -- that sort of thing is affecting a lot of people at
the moment!

> I used the latest development version which is 1.3.5 for this patch.
> I have implemented the $match function and it works fine when I tested it
> with the omegascript templates provided in the development omega source
> tarball (1.3.5)

Great. In future you should work from a git checkout rather than a
tarball, because it makes it less likely you'll run into conflicts
with subsequent work (or rather, if you do, you can resolve them more
easily).

> So how do I go ahead with creating a merge request for the same. Do
> I push these changes to the master branch?  I went through the
> Xapian developer guide but I am not sure about which branch these
> changes should be pushed to.

So there's two sides to this. Firstly in your local repository. The
developer guide has a 'helpful workflow' which discusses this. It was
previously tucked away in another part of the document, so it was easy
to miss; hopefully it's clearer and more obvious now. It says [1]:

> Create a branch in your local git repository

> You can check create your new branch:
>
> $ git checkout -b feature-x
>
> The branch name doesn't really matter, but you'll probably find it
> easiest to name it something related to the work that you're doing.

Secondly, in your forked repository on github. It's easiest just to
use the name branch name. Then you can open a pull request against the
upstream master. If you're not familiar with github forks and pull
requests, their documentation is the place to start [2].

(In some ways it doesn't actually matter what branch you use in your
repositories, however giving them a useful name makes it easier for
everyone to see what's going on, particularly when -- as I am at the
moment -- dealing with branches coming from a large number of
different people!)

[1] https://xapian-developer-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/contributing/workflow.html#create-a-branch-in-your-local-git-repository

[2] https://help.github.com/categories/collaborating-on-projects-using-issues-and-pull-requests/

--