GSoC final evaluation -- thinking ahead

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jul 17 12:51:28 BST 2016

Hi, everyone. This is mostly for our GSoC students, but if other
members of the community have thoughts I'd like to hear them.

This year, the final evaluation for GSoC requires you submit a single
URL that:

 * identifies the work you've done over the summer
 * makes it obvious how others can use your work

Although the final evaluation period doesn't start for about another
month, it's worth identifying what we expect everyone to do for it, so
there isn't a rush to sort it out at the last minute. Google have made
it clear that if the URL provided doesn't provide suitable
information, students may be failed at the final evaluation.

I think the submission URL could best take the form of a Xapian wiki
page that lists the different pieces of work that have been merged
(with a link to one or more access methods for getting the latest
fully-merged code), and also lists any work that hasn't been merged,
probably as pull requests. It's probably most helpful to simply add
these to the existing project page, which should have the project
description in there already.

(For Ama, who is working in her own repository, it just needs to link
to the repository, and probably indicate the SHA of the last commit
made as part of GSoC, for the purposes of the GSoC evaluation.)

That shouldn't be hugely complex, but anyone who's already had some
PRs merged may want to add them to their wiki project page now and
keep it up to date throughout the rest of the project.

Any questions, please let me know!

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org