Weighting Schemes: Implementing Piv+ Normalization

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Jul 27 22:44:31 BST 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:38:58PM +0530, Vivek Pal wrote:

> But I'm running into some issues with Piv+ normalization. In the Piv+
> formula  , there are two parameters (s and delta) that control the weight
> assigned. I think the way I'm serialising and unserialising these
> parameters has some issues which is causing a few errors,
> http://pastebin.com/yCyuvF1X.  Any suggestion is appreciated!

Two of those are compile errors, suggesting you aren't pulling in the
right header file (it's in common/serialise-double.h I believe).

This one:

weight/tfidfweight.cc: In member function 'virtual
Xapian::TfIdfWeight* Xapian::TfIdfWeight::unserialise(const string&)
const':

weight/tfidfweight.cc:87:37: error: conversion from 'const char' to
non-scalar type 'const string {aka const
std::__cxx11::basic_string<char>}' requested

     const string normals = (*(ptr)++);
                                     ^

I can't tell for sure without seeing the diff. You may mean just
`ptr++`? But it could be something else, depending on what you're
trying to do.

> Also, I was wondering if we want to have pivoted normalization weighting as
> a separate weighting scheme in Xapian as it will make a way to add support
> of different variations of pivoted normalization in the future?

This is more of a question for Olly, who I believe should be back on
reliable internet later this week.

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org