R bindings for Xapian - Project progress

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jun 5 21:15:05 BST 2016

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 04:09:34PM +0530, Amanda Jayanetti wrote:

> Using git rebase-i only the commits that were pushed via a local repository
> can be squashed. Could you kindly tell me if there's a way to squash
> commits that were made directly via the git hub web interface?

The best way of thinking of this is that changes via the github web
interface are like changes someone else made to the remote repository,
and which you want to incorporate into your local branch (which is
what you operate on using `git rebase -i`).

I've written an article to try to explain remotes, branches and how to
incorporate changes from remotes into a local branch:

https://tartarus.org/james/diary/2016/06/05/git-remotes

You can ignore the stuff about `git merge`, which you don't want to
use here. Hopefully this will make it more clear what's going on!

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org