Error while setting up tests in xapian-letor

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jun 12 18:39:39 BST 2016

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 06:13:39AM +0530, Ayush Tomar wrote:

> While setting up tests module for letor (in xapian-letor/tests; I copied
> the entire tests folder from xapian-core), I am getting build errors of the
> following type
> [...]
>
> > # error "Never use <xapian/database.h> directly; include <xapian.h>
> > instead."

To build the testsuite, you need to define XAPIAN_LIB_BUILD as a C
preprocessor symbol (this allows you to include parts of the Xapian
header system, rather than all of them). xapian-core does this
throughout, but you probably want to do this just while building the
tests (probably add it to AM_CPPFLAGS in tests/Makefile.am).

I think for the testsuite this is mainly for common/output.h, which is
basically just creating some overloaded operators so you can easily
write Xapian objects to a std::ostream like stderr and have them
display sensibly.

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org