GSOC Android Project

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Mar 4 05:01:17 GMT 2016

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:00:24PM +0530, Aakash Muttineni wrote:
> Hi Xapian community!

Hello Aakash,

> I am a sophmore at Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and
> Communication Technology majoring in ICT. I am interested in the bindings
> and support for android platform project.
> I took a look at the references posted under the project idea and the
> documentation in
> http://getting-started-with-xapian.readthedocs.org/en/latest/. Are there
> any other references which would be useful for this project.

You probably want to look at the existing Java bindings (in
directory xapian-bindings/java/ in the git repo).

> From what I understood, the basic idea of the project is to create an
> API for Xapian on the android platform. Is that correct?

Essentially yes.  We don't want something that's going to be a lot of
effort to update for new Xapian versions, so using SWIG and basing it
on the existing SWIG-generated Java bindings probably makes most sense.