GOSC Matcher Optimisations

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Mar 6 01:37:35 GMT 2016

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 02:16:39PM +0000, Ionut Ionut wrote:

> My name is Calofir Ionut and I am a first year in computer science
> student at University of Bucharest. I have a good experience in C++
> and since 2014 I have been involved in competitive programming. I am
> interested in Matcher Optimisations project. I took a look at the
> resources of this project, also I read the gsoc guide for
> students. Can someone help me how to get started, and what can I do
> more precisely for this project?

Hi, Calofir! If you've been through the GSoC guide then you should
have a running version of Xapian; have you found a 'bite size' project
or bug you want to work on as an initial contribution? It really does
help iron out things like process and coding standards, so it's a good
idea to pick that up as soon as possible.

In terms of the matcher optimisations project, what questions do you
have? There are a few tickets linked from the project description, so
you should read through those and then write a project proposal that
includes either those (or some of those) or anything else you think is
a good idea to look at once from looking at how the matcher currently
works. (Almost all the code is in xapian-core/matcher.)

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org