Questions about GSoC project: Speed up the Test Suite

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Mar 13 15:55:19 GMT 2016

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 10:37:25PM +0800, 罗增波 wrote:

> Now I'm reading gtest source code for reference. Hope it helps. It will be
> appreciated if you can tell some other open source test frameworks which is
> useful for Xapian test suite.

Right now, as I'm sure you've discovered, we have our own test
framework. While it wouldn't be impossible to change to a different
one, there'll obviously be more work involved in moving all the
existing test cases to use a different framework. The requirements for
Google Test aren't too onerous, by the look of things. However, they
only support C++ tests, so omega would need some careful thought, as
it has both C++ and non-C++ tests.

Note also this warning:

> It is currently unsafe to use Google Test assertions from two
> threads concurrently on other systems (e.g. Windows).

Although Google Test has some support for sharding tests across
multiple runs, it's limited and you'd have to implement the test
runner that drives it yourself. (There's an explicit FAQ about
parallel test execution.) So I'm not sure how much you'll learn that's
relevant by studying their source code as opposed to working with
Xapian's existing test framework.

> And I'll write the raw proposal in the next few days.

Great!

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org