GSoC applications

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 21 01:21:25 GMT 2016

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 02:07:58PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> Once you're happy that you've incorporated any feedback and have the
> best proposal, you have to submit it, at which point you cannot edit
> the proposal any further.

I don't think that's quite right - Stephanie (who runs GSoC for Google)
has said that students can submit revised versions of the "final
proposal" (the PDF one) up until the deadline.  So you could update
the draft and final versions each time you make a change.

> If you're working with us on feedback, then
> there's no particular advantage to doing that early, although if
> you're busy with other things such as exams or coursework toward the
> end of this week then it's wise to submit a little ahead of the
> deadline to ensure you don't miss it. (The deadline is hard; Google
> won't accept late submissions at all.)

Judging from past years, the site will be under heavy load in the last
few hours before the deadline, and its the first time they've used this
software so I wouldn't rely on it handling that load gracefully.  So this
year it is especially wise to have submit in plenty of time.  It's not
enough to have submitted a draft version by the deadline - you have to
have submitted a final PDF too.

Also note that the mentors and org admins can't see your PDF proposals
until after the deadline.  Before then we can only see your draught
proposals (the versions in google docs or via a link your give to
another external site).  So if you only submit a PDF, we can't review
it while you can still update it.