GSoC 2016 Letor Stabilisation

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Mar 22 12:45:07 GMT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:47:27AM +0530, Ayush Tomar wrote:

> Following yours and James' suggestions, these are the broader points around
> which my proposal is going to be structured for each milestone in timeline:
>
> 1. Merge code from v-hasu's and VcamX's letor implementations
> 2. Write Doxygen API documentations
> 3. Write topic documentations inspired from xapian-core/docs explaining
> individual core concepts like ListMLE, svmrank, ListNet etc. (My prior
> knowledge of machine learning would be useful here)
> 4. Set up test harness for letor. Write unit and API tests for introduced
> code and check coverage
> 5. Write practical code examples for Getting Started guide

There is quite detailed information on the LTR stabilisation project
page
(https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas/LearningtoRankStabilisation),
which I strongly recommend you use as a basis for your proposal. In
particular, you should not have code -- test -- document as separate
phases, but rather break things down into phases by functionality, and
have code/test -- document within each. Certainly, setting up a test
harness and writing tests for letor should not be fourth on your list.

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org