GSOC 2017 Project: Improving Xapian's PHP Bindings

Nihal N nihal.cse.nitk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:50:15 GMT 2017

Hello,

My name is Nihal. I am a 4th year, CSE undergraduate student at National
Institute of Technology Surathkal (NITK). I am proficient in C/C++/Java/PHP
languages.

Looking through GSOC organizations and projects. I came across Xapian. I
have looked through the project list for GSOC'17. Improving Xapian's PHP
Bindings project looked right for me. I have been reading up on the
resources provided.

If i'm not wrong, there are two parts of the project.
 - Reimplementing SWIG's PHP backend using PHP/Zend C API. (I am looking
into the PHP/Zend C API, if there are any more resources that I can read on
this)
 - Making the binding look more PHP like. (With the double floating point
argument problem and PHP namespaces)

Before jumping into this project, I'd like to get to know the code base. I
have built the project and was looking at ticket #159, should be able to
introspect the query object. It'll be great If anyone could help me start
up with this. And would also like to know if IRC is best for these project
related discussions or the mailing-list. I know this doesn't ease up on the
project at hand, but I want to get to know the code base a little.

Thank you

Nihal