GSoC 2017

James Aylett james at tartarus.org
Mon Jan 23 13:22:31 GMT 2017

On 23 Jan 2017, at 12:23, Richhiey Thomas <richhiey.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> My name is Richhiey Thomas and I'm studying Computer Engineering under Mumbai University. I had worked with Xapian in GSoC 2016 where I had worked on Clustering of Search Results. I would want to continue working on the project and was wondering whether it would fit the scope of GSoC.

I think this will make sense as another GSoC project; it's not listed mostly because we haven't had time to figure out what the natural next steps would be (and because it's in a weird state until we can get the rest of your work merged). You should some up with a careful project proposal so it's clear how you're building on previous work. Some sort of dimensionality reduction seems likely to be important, although there might be other approaches that pay off as well. Having a strategy for (automated) performance analysis, and some sort of reasonable targets, will be important here.

Given the state of the current PR, I think getting that merged should be possible ahead of GSoC itself. What I suggest you do to make life easier is to either use interactive rebase, or just build commits from scratch, on top of latest master in order to address the concerns that were discussed in that PR. The GSoC branch from last year only had one commit, and the PR is only really two or three commits itself, so producing a clean PR against master should result in something that can be reviewed and merged fairly quickly.

 James Aylett
 devfort.com — spacelog.org — tartarus.org/james/