Logging the click data

Vivek Pal vivekpal.dtu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 12:07:07 BST 2017

> In case I wasn't clear: I don't think you have to modify the command
> at all. Just create a template that uses the command as it currently
> works.

I thought we needed a new template only for the second log file? To
generate the first log file using the existing $log command, I have
introduced another $log command in query template that looks like:

$log{search.log,"$qid{$query}\t$query\t$did\t$topdoc"}

- search.log: log file name in log_dir (var/log/omega)
- $qid{$query}: to return query id for the given query. Planning to
  use the existing MD5 implementation here as you pointed out.
- $query: existing command that returns query text.
- $did: to return a list of doc ids on the result page. I'm aware of
  $id command that returns doc id of the "current" doc but not sure
  what current doc means there.
- $topdoc: existing command to set offset value.

I'm currently working towards implementing the support for new
commands i.e. $qid and $did.

An example log entry assuming that we allow only 4 docs on a
single result page:

q101 "simple query text" [doc0, doc1, doc2, doc3] 0
q101 "simple query text" [doc4, doc5, doc6, doc7] 4
q101 "simple query text" [doc8, doc9, doc10, doc11] 8

qid taken to be very simple for the purpose of this example and
I'm not really sure about the doc id format so assumed it to be
like that.

Also, I noticed that the existing log command in query template i.e.
$log{query.log} doesn't really log anything. I created query.log in
log_dir as specified in omega.conf with read and write permission
granted to the current system user but I see no logs in that file.
Should the log command be included inside the html body for it to
work (it currently appears after the closing html tag)?

Another thing that concerns me is that whether logging happens
whenever a new result page is loaded or it happens just once for
each search? We certainly don't want to log the same page again
in case user returns back to an already visited page but we do want
to log each page once as that is how we'll be able to record offset
values.

Thanks,
Vivek