GSoC and evaluations

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jun 25 17:43:56 BST 2017

Hi, everyone. Hopefully everyone is having a good summer — particularly if you're involved in any of our GSoC projects this year. By my count, all of our students are zeroing in on significant PRs, and a couple have had smaller ones merged as well.

I just wanted to remind everyone involved that evaluations open this week (tomorrow, Monday) and are due by 4pm UTC Friday, which for almost everyone in practice means you should get them done by the end the working day on Friday. Both mentors and students have to fill out evaluations, which should take at most ten minutes.

A quick note to students that keeping your journal up to date will help your mentor assess your involvement for the evaluation. This is particularly true if you've been relying on other mentors (or myself and Olly, as admins) for assistance while working on your project. It's a good idea to write a brief journal entry at the end of every day; not only does this get you into the habit of reviewing your progress and making notes about ideas for future and upcoming work, but in some jobs it's a requirement to keep track of what you worked on, so completing your GSoC journal can be good practice for that as well.

As ever, if you have any questions or need any assistance, please shout out here on the mailing list, ask on IRC, or if you need a more private forum for some reason, contact either your mentor, Olly or myself.

 James Aylett, occasional troublemaker & project governance
 xapian.org