GSoC

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 7 01:10:02 GMT 2018

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 02:34:21AM +0530, Rahul Verma wrote:
> Hope i am not disturbing. I want to talk about Gsoc project - "Weighting
> Schemes".
> I know i am already late, [...]

While a few students got in touch weeks ago, most won't until after
student applications open in a week's time so you're still earlier than
most.

> I have already started studying docs related to this project and have
> already forked xapian repository and build it.

That's a great start.

> Any suggestions what should i do next.

Did you see our GSoC Guide?  That's a good source of advice:

https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide

The next thing to do is really to start getting familiar with the code,
ideally in the are you'd need to work with for the weighting schemes
project (though working on any change to the code is a useful way to
get familiar with the process of making a change, submitting a patch
and getting it reviewed and merged).

As the guide suggests, you can either pick a small initial step towards
that project (e.g. you could look at the currently unimplemented SMART
normalisations) or look at the list of "bite size" projects or "good
first bugs".