GSoC aspirant - guruprasad hegde

James Aylett james at tartarus.org
Fri Mar 9 19:27:19 GMT 2018

On 9 Mar 2018, at 11:34, Guruprasad Hegde <guruhegde1308 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question to mentors:
> *  Any suggestion/comment on how can I proceed with choosing between two topics?
>
> * Is it possible to make the GSOC work as part of my thesis work? I choose a topic (diversification or math-aware search) and implement it in Xapian. As part of research work, try to come up with any improvement.
> This idea just crossed the mind, so I thought of checking the possibility. Irrespective of this, I am interested in contributing to Xapian in this GSoC.

Hi, Guruprasad!

I'd advise you to choose whichever interests you more, with perhaps a little bit of which one you think you can achieve more thrown in. (Generally, the more you're able to accomplish the more you'll enjoy it.)

GSoC isn't a place for research, however. We ask people to justify the algorithms and approaches they're proposing to take, with reference to published papers, books, and so forth. Of course, you'd be welcome to subsequently build on Xapian and your GSoC work to research improvements to what you've implemented.

 James Aylett
 devfort.com — spacelog.org — tartarus.org/james/