A Greeting for Xapian community

outdream a13700bc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 08:58:16 GMT 2019

Dear mentors and friends working on Xapian:

Sorry for bothering you here, please excuse my rudeness. In order to
clearly represent my thoughts, I think my words going a bit verbose,
thus it is unsuitable to put them in the chat room or it would be a
hell for the readers.

This email consists of 3 parts, my self introduction (I'm new here)
and two question I met while building Xapian from git. And it's
written with markdown style and sent as pure text, to avoid the case
that markdown is unsupported. If the big length of this email also
leads to problem, please give me a tip, I would keep it in mind :#.
It's very kind of you for replies to any part. :)

## Self Introduction

Hello everyone! I'm outdream (it's my favorite nickname), a college
student from China. I get known of Xapian from GSoC this year. I'm
interested in the ideas of "Weighting Schemes" and "Text-Extraction
Libraries".

As for my skills, on program languages, I'm familiar with C++, Python
and Java. Besides, I have a little experience of information retrieval
(from a toy project about SE) and Linux system programming (from a
naive file system based on FUSE). I hope I could be a valuable
contributor for these projects.

As a recruit both for open source world and Xapian, I'm in the process
of reading guide and getting familiar with code of Xapian. I hope it
won't be too late to take part in. Below are questions I met during
the building from git, please everyone for your comments and advice,
both for technical questions or mistakes on my communication style.
Glad to meet you all, hope I could be welcome here. :}

## Build tool chain omission

I'm not sure whether texinfo is an omission in building tool chain.
Maybe it should be added to the required tools for building Xapian
from git?

I did the building obeying steps given in the guide file "HACKING".
Before executing the bootstrap script, I install the asked tools with
the command:

> apt-get install build-essential m4 perl python zlib1g-dev uuid-dev wget bison tcl

But while I execute bootstrap, an error stopped the process with
message "makeinfo is missing". I checked detailed error info and
installed texinfo. Then bootstrap works successfully.

I suppose it may be caused by one of the two reasons: As Ubuntu and
Debian are best supported by Xapian, maybe texinfo is installed by
default in these systems, but not available in my environment (Deepin,
version 15.8, a linux distribution based on Ubuntu 16.04); In another
case, it may be an omission in the document. Without information about
other systems, I could not make a clear judgement. I hope this would
be helpful in making the document more perfect.

## Building contents control

Another is how to take control on building omega and the documents?

This is mainly out of my curiosity. The libs needed for the building
of Omega and documents are singly listed in the document, so I thought
it's an optional to build the Omega module. But when checking the
generated Makefile in my build dir, I found all the commands
associated with the omega application. Back reading the file HACKING,
I still have not found a way to control contents to be built, this
confused me.

Thanks for any replies in advance, nice to meet you ;).

Best regards,
outdream