[GSoC] Questions about project Text-Extraction Libraries

Bruno Baruffaldi baruffaldibruno at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 18:42:36 GMT 2019

Thanks!
That was really useful!

I wanted to share my approach to this project with the hope that you can
give me some feedback.

I am think that applying a design that foresees the incorporation of new
file formats is the most suitable way to solve the problem.

In the attached sketch we can see:
* Bug_Box: It is responsible for encapsulating and handling errors.
* File_extrator: It presents an interface for the different formats.
* File_X: Encapsulates a particular library for the X file format.
* File_Hadle: It is responsible for directing the extraction. More
specifically, it determines the file format and which extractor to use.
* Ominex: It represents the rest of the project.

The idea of organizing the code in this way focuses on two fundamental
items:
* The possibility of changing a particular library for another that
fulfills the same purpose without affecting the project.
* The possibility of extending Xapian's support in terms of file format.

One of the major advantages is that if a particular programmer wishes to
add support for a new file format or improve an existing one, they should
only modify the objects that are in red. In this way, with a proper
documentation this kind of tasks should not be a complex task.

I know it is an ambitious approach, but I think that with a good
documentation it would give the project great flexibility and the
programmers would have the option of adapting Xapian to their needs.

**The image only presents a simple scheme to explain the idea, I do not
consider it as a design for the project. I believe that we should discuss
about different design patterns to choose the most suitable one.

Cheers,
   Bruno Baruffaldi

--
Atte. Bruno Baruffaldi