[Xapian-discuss] 100% relevant

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Aug 22 00:26:53 BST 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 11:21:39PM +0100, Francis Irving wrote:
> Aha! The Perl binding is using a different version of Xapian to other stuff.
> Did the so number (so.2, so.3 etc.) change between 0.8.0 and 0.8.1

Yes.  For reference, you can find this info in configure.in (from 0.8.0
onwards) and Makefile.am (up to 0.8.0).  Hmm, that's daft - I'll move it
all to configure.in.

> Does this explain the symptoms I'm seeing?

0.8.0 had two bugs which could corrupt data in the Btree, but the Btree
structure itself shouldn't have been affected.  Well, probably not.  One
of the bugs involved accessing memory which had been released, but I
think it was only read.  I've not seen this symptom before anyway.

> I think this is also a bug in Xapian.  One version shouldn't be able to read a
> database made in another version and it appear corrupt.  It should give an
> "incompatible version" error.

But 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 are meant to be *compatible* versions!  And indeed
from what you've said, I think the database *is* corrupt, it doesn't
just appear to be.