[Xapian-discuss] Paging Results

Mike Boone mike at boonedocks.net
Tue Aug 24 01:18:04 BST 2004

Hi Everyone,

I have an existing search engine that uses MySQL to search the data. It
works fairly well but isn't very fast. It is integrated with a PHP page to
show 25 results at a time. MySQL will tell me how many total results there
are so I can figure out how many "page" links should be displayed for the
search results.

Today I wrote a more-or-less drop-in replacement for the MySQL search code
using Xapian via PHP. The search is very fast, but the estimated matches
changes when I requested 25  documents starting from 0 (53 matches), 25 (64
matches), 50 (69 matches). How can I determine the exact number of matches
so that I can link the pages properly? There seem to be three ways to
determine matches, lower_bound, upper_bound, and estimated...but from the
documentation, none return the value that I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Mike.
http://boonedocks.net/mike/