[Xapian-discuss] Re: Search::Xapian::WritableDatabase SIGABRT?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Dec 8 03:41:46 GMT 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:50:26AM -0800, Eric Parusel wrote:
> Ok, I will try out the patch, or CVS...  I would prefer to wait for a
> debian package, but I suppose my updates need to resume soon :)

It'll be at least a few days before I sort out the release and Richard
sorts out debian packages for it.  Perhaps longer if Richard is busy.

If you want a quick fix, you should be able to use copydatabase (from
xapian-examples) to make a copies of the problem databases and use the
copies instead.

Or you could use quartzcompact to copy them.  That's much faster than
copydatabase (it copies at the Btree level rather than document by
document), but you end up with a database with full compaction which
means that updates will be slower for a while as every updated block
will need to be split.

> As for the Perl bindings not returning the exception, what can I do to
> get Perl to not kick the bucket in these cases?

I've had a quick look.  I added a new testcase which tries to open
the same database for writing twice, and checks it got an exception
the second time.  And this works for me!

So I don't know why you're getting SIGABRT.  I've attached the testcase
- just stick it in Search-Xapian-0.8.3.1/t with the other ".t" files and
run "make test" in Search-Xapian-0.8.3.1 to run all the tests.