[Xapian-discuss] Threaded test (in C++) to reproduce our database problems

Eric Ridge ebr@tcdi.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:42:12 -0400

Compiling now.  I'll report back in a few.  Been up all night dealing =
with a (scheduled) power-outage in our datacenter.  Always fun to see =
which servers won't boot.

Hopefully, CVS HEAD will fix this, but as another data-point:  The test =
(poorly written as it is) also fails on our test Gentoo system, which is =
a dual processor hyperthreaded Xeon, running the 2.6.6 Linux kernel.  So =
it ain't just my Mac.

As an aside, is it necessary to compile Xapian with -pthread or =
-lpthread or -D_REENTRANT or -D_THREAD_SAFE or something?  My thinking =
is no, but I'm just a novice when it comes to pthreads.

I really appreciate the time y'all have spent looking into this.  A =
welcomed surprise when power came back on!

eric