[Xapian-discuss] Data ran out unexpectedly when reading posting list

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Mon Jun 21 01:09:35 BST 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 07:25:54PM +0200, Eric Bus wrote:
> I'm doing some work on our search engine, but when updating the index I get:
>
> E: Data ran out unexpectedly when reading posting list.
> Exception: Data ran out unexpectedly when reading posting list.
>
> Any ideas why this could happen? I haven't look very hard myself, but
> maybe it already rings a bell with someone reading this :)

It sounds like a bug which was caused by using string after it had been
deleted - apply this patch:

http://cvs.xapian.org/xapian/xapian-core/backends/quartz/quartz_postlist.cc.diff?r1=1.69&r2=1.70&diff_format=u

I'd also suggest applying this one (without it deleting a posting fails
to remove it in a corner case):

http://cvs.xapian.org/xapian/xapian-core/backends/quartz/quartz_postlist.cc.diff?r1=1.67&r2=1.68&diff_format=u