[Xapian-discuss] Future of Xapian (long)

James Aylett james-xapian@tartarus.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:28:31 +0100

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 10:56:42PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> > Why use HTTP for this?  Mainly because many languages now have support
> > for HTTP built in, so integration is extremely easy.
>
> It was this realisation that gave birth to the xml query template and caused
> me to stop work on swig-php and the php bindings.
> In fairness the php bindings were resulting in omega being re-written in php
> which wasn't really very sensible and the xml template results turns out to
> be a lot more useful.

It still suffers from having to invoke omega by CGI on every request
(or at the least to fork-exec somewhere). Having a proper app server
with Xapian embedded would be an even bigger win.

> SOAP is a red herring here, I'm pretty sure, it's easy enough to request a
> straight URL.

To an app server this might be true. You have to agree on your
encoding of non-ASCII characters, but there's no length
restriction. Or you could use POST, which unfortunately has
the wrong semantics, but will be abused in this way by HTTP app
servers forever.

  james@tartarus.org                               uncertaintydivision.org